We love to eat fresh foods and every year we try our luck with a garden. We say “try” because neither one of us are green thumbs and can barely keep bamboo plants alive. Sad but true, lol! In all honesty we are able to grow vegetables unlike our houseplants and we are more than ecstatic to be able to introduce you to the world of canning. Bernardin Canning has helped people do just that for more than 100 years and make it very easy for beginners like us with their Home Canning Starter Kit.
This kit contains all the necessities that you need for water bath canning. This is the process of boiling water in a huge pot and not using a pressure cooker. Both our parents and grandparents canned foods with Bernardin products and recipes with a water bath as well.
- A 21 quart Canner
- Canning Rack
- Jar lifter
- Magnetic Lid lifter
- Bubble remover & head spacer
- 4 pack Collection Elite decorative 236ml jars with lids
- Original Crystals pectin
- A recipe booklet
- And an instructional DVD featuring Bernardin’s Executive Chef Emerie Brine
As my mom says, the next best thing to sliced bread is this Funnel! This was my favorite tool to work with as it stops the over-spill mess and it makes filling the jars so much easier.
The Home Canning Starter Kit retails for $50 and can be found at most major retailers in Canada. We love having a canning set to preserve our food as we know it’s healthier for us and we’ll be able to save money by making our own stuff.
We cannot wait to make many many more canned goods, especially this summer when we try our hands at a garden again!! 🙂
GUESS WHAT??!!! In the spring Bernardin is coming out with beautiful vintage jars and we get to show you guys a SNEAK PEAK!!!!! 🙂
CLICK HERE to find out more info on these new awesome mason jars
- Please visit their Website.
- Like Bernardin Canning on Facebook.
- Follow Bernardin Canning on Twitter.
- Follow Bernardin Canning on Pinterest
Some important tips that I learned right off the bat is:
- You CANNOT Can spaghetti sauce with meat (You have to use a pressure cooker)
- You can only use the water bath (which is the canning set included in this review) to can high acidic foods
- You must follow the instruction And recipes very carefully for Your specific canning system.
- Do not use metallic dishes (not sure why but I keep seeing it all over the place) lol so if you have the answer please tell me 🙂
- This is definitely a page you should read before starting your canning process. Bernardin’s FAQ
Disclosure: We received product(s) for free in exchange for an honest review, which may differ from yours. Regardless, we only recommend products or services we’ve used personally and believe will be good for our readers.
Comments are welcomed!
Holly & Jay