We love Earth Day! 2015
Because it gives us the opportunity to educate our son about respecting our environment and keeping it healthy. It also gives us the opportunity to get involved. After all, we must lead by example!
April 22nd 2015 is Earth Day and to celebrate it we like doing something good for the Earth. Below we’ve listed a few ideas to help get others involved.
- Turn off breaker
- Pick up trash
- Plant trees
- Collect recyclable materials
- Plant a garden
- Make a diorama using pieces of twigs, grass, moss and rocks (if available)
- Collect leaves for crafts (if available)
- Take an outdoor adventure to teach the kids about nature and it’s Eco systems
- Inspire others
We hope that these ideas are helpful and that you’ll do your part to keep our planet healthy and clean.
For more information about Earth Day please visit the Earth Day website.
SIGN THE FLAG On Earth Day!!!!!
“Signatures will be collected in person (at community events, schools, specific sites) and electronically through our website over 5 months, from Earth Day, April 22, to September 22, 2015. These signatures will be placed or printed on pieces of cloth that will be sewn together to create a mosaic flag.”
Sign it here on April 22nd –> Earth Day website
In case you weren’t aware April 22nd is Earth Day. This day always brings memories of being back in school when the classes got together to pick garbage and debris up around the school and in the community. While this is a great activity for this day in particular, it’s also something that can be incorporated into our daily lives.
Since it’s Earth Day I’ve decided to come up with a few ideas or ways to celebrate with the little ones and hope you’ll enjoy them:
- Clean the environment around you. Pick up loose trash and debris.
- Get the kids to go through the house and collect anything that needs to be or can be recycled. Bottles and cans can be refunded, kind of like a payment 😉
- Have a recycling party. Ask guests to bring foods in recycled containers such as yogurt dishes. Use recycled objects to decorate like stringing painted pop lids for garland. Etc…
- Attend local Earth Day events. Many companies are dedicated to helping save and improve the quality of Earth and put on some pretty cool events and activities that are family friendly. PTPA award winner Soda Stream being one 🙂
- Read more about Earth Day (Canada) supporters HERE
- Sit down as a family and discuss ideas that will benefit you while also being frugal and environmentally friendly. Ex: Starting a compost to save on garbage bags being bought and thrown into dumps. Regrow veggies from old root/clippings like celery and green onions.
- Take a reusable bag with you when you go grocery shopping to save on grocery bags being thrown out. If you absolutely need a plastic bag, use it for recycling or for a garbage bag for a small waste basket.
- Have an Earth Hour. Turn off all the power in the house and teach the kids about how they lived before electricity existed. Preferably by candle light which you can also use as an example 🙂
- And we can’t forget the crafts, they make any occasion fun, lol! The Dollar Store is one of our favorite places to buy craft material for the little ones. It doesn’t cost an arm and a leg, it does the job and the craft isles are a creative minds playground!