I often get asked “Well how do I start Couponing??” So I have put together a list and some tips to try and make it as easy as possible for everyone. 🙂 Please take the time after you read it, to leave a comment about your thoughts on it and if there’s anything you would add to it? Thanks for reading!!!
First I would go to the stores you shop at (and even ones you don’t) that have groceries, cleaners etc, and walk up and down every isle to check for “tear pad” Coupons. These are Coupons found displayed in front of items on the shelves at the store, They are meant so you can take a few, and leave some for others as well. 🙂
Other places you can find coupons in the store, are on Displays in the isles, at the cash register in those “take me magazines”, and even the ones who are giving out Samples to try sometimes have coupons to giveaway 🙂 Once you start looking for them, you will find them! *Take some of each, even if you do not plan to use them. Sometime in the future you may want to trade them for some coupons that are of use to you..I will explain that more later on!!! …So, pretty simple so far? 🙂
Next, you will need:
- 1 Zippered Binder, 1-2 Inches should be good for now,
- A few packages of hockey card inserts found at the dollarstore or walmart (this is where you are going to put your coupons)
- A highlighter (So you can highlight the expiry date on each coupon)
- Scissors (You will need these later to cut coupons you receive by mail)
- A Divider (This is so you can divide you binder into 2 sections.*After you get home and you have all of your coupons highlighted and your binder assembled, you are ready to start organizing the coupons into the inserts. This is how I file my coupons. Everyone is different and will have different ways that will best suit them, so this is for an example only. I have my way to file the coupons because I have tried many different things before and this is the only thing that works for me. In sections: FOOD and OTHER. Each of these 2 categories have different sub-categories such as: Dairy, Meats, Snacks, Freezer, Cleaners, Men/Women Products etc…
Now you can go Online and look on these great sites for coupons. Simply sign up with your name and mailing info (on most) and you some will mail you coupons, others you will have to print.
After your coupons are ordered, wait for them to come in, cut the out and file them right away if not you WILL fall behind. Please trust me on that one hehe… TIP: watch that you don’t cut off the expiry date or bar code, as it makes the coupon invalid.
Check the sales weekly. Every Thursday we normally get ours. Match up items on sale with the coupons you have (eventually you will get used to and remember the kinds of coupons you have)
Another thing to look out are In-Store specials. Each store is different. Check the clearance shelves/section as this is how you will pay next to nothing for stuff 🙂 You gotta take the time to go up and down every isle as you never know what you will find that you have a coupon for!!!
Try googling “Canadian Coupon Sites” to see what comes up. Do a lot of reading. It takes time, but the more You do it and play around, the more you will learn!!
Learn the Coupon Policies for the stores you shop at. It can be as simple as an email to them, a phone call or a trip to the store and ask a manager. 🙂 Don’t be shy to ask for a copy.
And of course don’t forget about SCOP (Scanning Code Of Practice). You can read more about that here: http://wp.me/p3CCuE-Mv
If you can think of others, please let me know and I will add them :)Thanks!!!